Monday, July 17, 2017

AZT 300 Setup

Here's the setup I used for the AZT 300.

GT Zaskar 9r


Bike
Started life as a 2013 GT Zaskar 9r Elite.

Drivetrain
I have 1x11 setup using a Shimano XT shifter and 11-46 cassette with an SLX derailler and a OneUp Narrow Wide 30T chainring on SLX cranks. This gives me nice low gear and a high-end that is good enough. I'm sold on the single chainring.

Brakes
Shimano SLX M7000.

Tires
Maxxis Ardent EXO/TR 29 x 2.25 up front and a Maxxis Ikon EXO/TR/3C 29 x 2.2 in the rear. That's as big as I can go with this bike, otherwise I probably would go Ardent 2.4 for both front and rear.

Pump
Lezyne Alloy Drive. This pump is awesome, it puts air in my tires.

Front Bag
Revelate Sweetroll, small. This holds my sleeping bag and pad.

Top Tube Bag
Revelate Gas Tank. This holds quick-access trail food.

Frame Bag
Revelate Tangle. This holds my phone, wallet, paper map, additional food/water. With the tangle I can also carry two 20 oz water bottles. I had to use hose clamps to move the cages lower on the seat post. I put a platypus 70 oz bladder in there and found that a good way to carry some extra water.

Seat Bag
Revelate Pika. Tubes, tools, water filter, repair kit, clothes, additional food.

Backpack
Camelbak Mule. I don't really like riding with a backpack, but this is the desert and I have to carry water. It has a 100 oz bladder, and I can add some misc items and maybe some additional water and food.

Sleeping Bag
REI Halo 40+ Women's Long. It is small and warm but I was still feeling cold.

Sleeping Pad
Kylmit O Zone. It worked, then got a hole and didn't. I probably will do something different in the future.

Lights
My big light broke so I just used two cheap AAA powered lights (probably around 200-300 lumens each). That was good enough with a full moon.

GPS Navigation
Garmin Oregon 550t. It's an older model, but it checks out.

Satellite Tracker
I'm borrowing a Delorme inReach Explorer. This allows me to show up on the online tracking page so people can follow along. I can also send and receive text messages even without cell phone service.

Battery
I have an Anker 16000 mAh battery pack that will keep my phone and tracker charged.

Shoes
Giro Terraduro. Good for pedaling, good enough for hiking.

No comments: